Friday 18 December 2009

Garlands/Sugarplums split single (Atomic Beat)

Marianthi brought this up to me last week, and it's sat on the shelf since then.

You know when you can tell a record's going to be great, just by looking at the sleeve? Well, this is one of them. I know next to nothing about either band, which is quite nice, really, but I know that The Garlands' rushing melancholy reminds me of The Flatmates now and again, and that 'Tell Me' sounds like a train rushing by. It's a toe-tapper, and no doubt.

The Sugarplums come across like one of those really cool, obscure 60s beat groups that probably played a lot in Germany. They're all moody, shy vocals and have a song here called 'Joyce's Bicycle Gang', which, apart from being probably the best name for a song ever, hints at The Chesterfields, which is never a bad thing at all.

I'm not really sure when this charming little seven inch single is out, but keep your eye on the Atomic Beat website, and you should find out how you can buy it.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Lucky bastard. I've been looking forward to this one!