Monday 28 April 2014

Trick Mammoth

I'd love to be able to tell you what a welcoming, diverse, friendly and supremely well-organised weekend Wales Goes Pop! was, but I've simply not stopped working since the long drive back from south Wales to Nottinghamshire.

I managed to surface this afternoon to listen to Trick Mammoth, all the way from the N(ew) of Z(ealand) - Dunedin to be precise. They describe themselves as 'flower cult pop', and who am I to argue?

To these ears they sound a little like Free Loan Investments, and whenever can that be wrong? It's that's sort of wriggly indiepop that might sound all innocent on first listen, actually probably wants to kick your balls out.

Trick Mammoth have a single out as part of the WIAIWYA 7777777 singles club series (which I simply can't keep pace with, so I've given up like some kind of idiot), and an album called 'Floristry' out on Fishrider Records in New Zealand and Occultation Recordings (spooky!) in the UK.

I'd be deeply delighted if they came over to the UK and played some time. And that is an invitation, yes.




No comments: