Wednesday 29 July 2009

Songs that saved your life, parts 8 and 9

If anyone ever asks me what my favourite indiepop compilation is, I look them in the eye, stick my tongue out, and tell them it's 'Picnic Basket - a Shelflife International Compilation'.

I've mentioned this album before on this blog, mainly because it came out at just the right time, and has sort of shaped the last decade of my life, music-wise. But it also boasts something quite rare: two songs, back-to-back that are amongst my favourite ever.

Tucked away right at the back of the album are Pinkie's 'Do You Feel Guilty' and Southville's 'Sleep'. They both knocked my sideways the first time I heard them, and they still do. I listened to this album over and over and over during the summer of 2002 whilst watching the World Cup on a portable telly perched on a chair next to my desk at home, and chuckled along as France and Argentina got knocked out in the first round, whilst Senegal somehow made the quarter finals, and South Korea and Turkey made the semi-finals. 2002 was the indiepop World Cup. And the Shelflife compilation - and in particular these two ace songs - were it's unofficial soundtrack.

These then, are my 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' and 'Nowhere Fast' of my adult years. Yeah.

Download Pinkie's 'Do you feel Guilty' here.
Download Southville's 'Sleep' here.

No comments: