Wednesday 14 January 2009

Just for a day

There are many terrible things about the drudge of wage slavery, but one sticks out a mile.

You know that awful thing at work where someone asks you: "So, what music are you into?", and you suddenly freeze, look straight ahead of you, and wonder if they've got the new Summer Cats seven inch or not, before blurting out: "Well, my favourite band ever are The Smiths"?

You do know that, don't you?

Well, The Smiths usually get rid of this unwanted conversation quite handily, because the person asking you is expecting an in depth conversation at the new Kooks record (or at the very most, they want to show you how cool they are by mentioning that they bought the Kings of Leon lp yesterday).

So, imagine my surprise today when my stock Smiths answer was met with: "Yeah, I liked The Smiths, but I was more into Revolver and Lush and Ride. Have you heard of them?"

What was a really fucking boring meeting about conference venues (that's right) turned into an hour-long, enthusiastic chat about Ride's first album, whether Miki or Emma was best, and whether Blind Mr Jones were the greatest lost shoegaze band ever.

Proof, then, that although work is 99 per cent shite, the 1 per cent that involves talking about Slowdive's masterly debut album makes it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

In remembrance of such oases of glee in a sea of pointless hours, here's Slowdive's tremblingly beautiful Catch the Breeze, which still makes my eyes moist after all these years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fab! I long to work with more 'with it' people. For the past six years, I've worked with people old enough to be my parents. Really hope this changes soon. Though on a recent drive from Detroit to Chicago after a workshop, I did subject two old lady coworkers to a couple hours of the Magnetic Fields and they didn't kick me out of the car. Score.

A layer of chips said...

Don't get me wrong - this is a complete one off! A normal day is spent talking to people who think Crystal Stilts is a kind of champagne.